[M3devel] recent problems?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Mar 15 20:15:56 CET 2009

  I'm seeing some problems lately. Maybe it is just me.
  Some of them I've had over a week (ie: before my (most) recent changes),
  some of them even if recently appeared I verified without my (most) recent changes.

  On Cygwin 1.5, mklib always crashes. I haven't been able to debug it.
  This has been over a week.
  I've had to stop using Cygwin for Modula-3 development on this machine.
  I have a good repro but hadn't had luck yet debugging it.
  Basically if I shorten the mklib command line (in the response file) substantially, no crash.
  There is a cut off somewhere.

  On Cygwin 1.7 machine, stubgen in obliqparse usually but not always hangs.
  It hangs nowhere else.
  This I verified occured without my recent changes.
  I only just in the past few days tried Cygwin 1.7.
  mklib works fine here.
  Of course since this is somewhat intermittent, maybe it isn't a new problem.

  I've only tried Cygwin 1.5 and 1.7 on one machine each, separate machines,
  though they do coexist ok on one machine.
  1.7 seemed much faster (on an unimpressive machine), though 1.7 binares
  apparently don't run on 1.5 -- at least not if they use assert().
  1.7 is a recent past or future release, a long time in the works,
  drops Win9x support, lots of good sounding changes.

  I should run m3tests more, maybe they will reveal the crash or the hang as well.

  On LINUXLIBC6 on one machine stubgen was crashing at least in one directory.
  But I think this stopped happening.

  Cygwin being broken pushes me to other platforms more, probably a good thing.
  I'm loathe to debug the hang. When it occurs I can't see any stacks in gdb. I can see in strace..
  I think we are waiting for all the threads to suspend themselves.
  I'll probably try moving back to Win32 threads and see if it clears up.
  I know that's not great.
  There isn't a clear implied question and I know I should/need to look into these,
  but I also thought I shouldn't keep this to myself. I also understand the philosophy
  of stopping changes when there are problems, to stop further damage, but, of course,
  I'm very confident in my changes (always..), have been testing them on other platforms,
  and looking them over extra extra since I know of these other problems.

  I'm not sure any problem on Cygwin is worrisome really.
  I think the underlying code is kind of gnarly and I don't think
  anyone uses this platform, though people asked for it.
  But I did have a crash on LINUXLIBC6.