[M3devel] Classic Modula-3 Books

Rodney M. Bates rodney.bates at wichita.edu
Fri Mar 13 22:31:24 CET 2009

I have maybe 2 or 3 copies of SPwM3.  I have occasionally thought about
trying to acquire the copyright from Prentice-Hall, but never got around
to investigating.

There are others:

Harbison: "Modula-3", also Prentice-Hall
Boszormenyi & Weich "Programming in Modula-3", Springer-Verlag
Sedgewick: Algorithms in Modula-3", Addison-Wesley

I am especially interested in the last one.  The second and third
are language tutorials.

Does anyone have any idea whether it is better to first contact the author
or the publisher?  Presumably, the publisher owns all rights, but there
is a royalty contract with the author.

Perhaps we could create a nonprofit foundation or something, to receive
copyrights by whatever means and hold them to keep things like this
available.