[M3devel] formsedit crash during startup sometimes?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Mar 20 08:09:26 CET 2009

Quoting Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Wouldn't it be super cool, though if I could just issue one command,
>  wait overnight or whatever, and voila, several of those builds
> done,  in both directions, just awaiting human test/observation?
> Yeah..
>
> I don't even know how yet to sync an entire CVS tree to a date yet,
> maybe cvs upd -d?
> (Nice thing about 5.4.0 is I don't need CVS to identify it.)

It's the capital D and easily available in online help:

% cvs co -h
co: invalid option -- h
Usage:
   cvs checkout [-ANPRcflnps] [-r rev] [-D date] [-d dir]
     [-j rev1] [-j rev2] [-k kopt] modules...
         -A      Reset any sticky tags/date/kopts.
         -N      Don't shorten module paths if -d specified.
         -P      Prune empty directories.
         -R      Process directories recursively.
         -c      "cat" the module database.
         -f      Force a head revision match if tag/date not found.
         -l      Local directory only, not recursive
         -n      Do not run module program (if any).
         -p      Check out files to standard output (avoids stickiness).
         -s      Like -c, but include module status.
         -r rev  Check out revision or tag. (implies -P) (is sticky)
         -D date Check out revisions as of date. (implies -P) (is sticky)
         -d dir  Check out into dir instead of module name.
         -k kopt Use RCS kopt -k option on checkout. (is sticky)
         -j rev  Merge in changes made between current revision and rev.
(Specify the --help global option for a list of other help options)
luthien [~] wagner
% cvs update -h
update: invalid option -- h
Usage: cvs update [-APCdflRp] [-k kopt] [-r rev] [-D date] [-j rev]
     [-I ign] [-W spec] [files...]
         -A      Reset any sticky tags/date/kopts.
         -P      Prune empty directories.
         -C      Overwrite locally modified files with clean repository copies.
         -d      Build directories, like checkout does.
         -f      Force a head revision match if tag/date not found.
         -l      Local directory only, no recursion.
         -R      Process directories recursively.
         -p      Send updates to standard output (avoids stickiness).
         -k kopt Use RCS kopt -k option on checkout. (is sticky)
         -r rev  Update using specified revision/tag (is sticky).
         -D date Set date to update from (is sticky).
         -j rev  Merge in changes made between current revision and rev.
         -I ign  More files to ignore (! to reset).
         -W spec Wrappers specification line.
(Specify the --help global option for a list of other help options)

Usually it's better to use tags instead of dates, since the latter
need not identify a consistent configuration, but for your purpose
it should be OK.

Information about CVS is available from a number of online sources.
freebsd.org offers a nice possibility to read manual pages online for
example:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cvs&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.1-RELEASE&format=html

Hope this helps,

Olaf