[M3devel] m3 CVS?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Wed Mar 25 14:52:34 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:31:58AM +0100, Olaf Wagner wrote:
> Quoting Jay <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:
>

> >Any idea when CVS will be back?
> >And what state it will be in?
>
> There was a bad disk crash on birch, and some of the backups (rootfs)
> seem to be unusable, so it's taking longer than expected.

Ouch!  I've had one of those.  Now I use a RAID-1, regular backups onto
USB drives I keep disconnected from the computer, and check important
source code into a distributed revision control system with a complete
copy of the archive on a remote site.  All in all, three different
backup technologies.  Am I too paranoid?

> All CM3 CVS data should be save.

That's good.  It looks as if you've been paranoid enough.

> Sorry for the service interruption,
>
> Olaf

I just tried to access monotone.ca.  ping monotone.ca works, but http:
access is quite dead.

At this point, I speculate it would be nice to have another server
somewhere else in the world.

When things are back together, I could experiment with setting up a
monotone server with the same content and history as the Modula 3 CVS,
if you like.  monotone is a distributed version control system that is
reported to have good interoperation with CVS.  It would be interesting
to test if that is actually true.

No, you wouldn't have to switch from CVS to monotone if I did that.

-- hendrik