[M3devel] Am I experiencing garbage collection?

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Thu Mar 26 00:00:54 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:23:24AM +1100, Tony Hosking wrote:
> It is possible that you are experiencing delays, though I am surprised
> that you have user-noticeable delays.  Do you have a demo I can try?
> You could also try turning of GC (@M3nogc) and see if the delays are
> no longer there.

I don't notice a delay -- I notice small gaps in the trail of pixels
activated by the mouse rolling over them.  From the size of the gap I
estimate it might be as long as a twentieth of a secind, but it's
probably more like a hundredth.  I didn't use a stopwatch to time it.

And I do build a fair amount of data structure per pixel.  I'm probably
going to have to change it -- but only once I've got some experience
how the application actually works.  At the moment I've only ot a few
bits and pieces.

That option @M3nogc -- do I put it on the command line when I execute?

-- hendrik