[M3devel] per thread data?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 31 00:15:29 CEST 2009

hm, thinking about this more...
What about threads not created by Modula-3 Fork() (or the first thread)?

It looks like exception handling had a chance of working on them
before. Now they'll crash upon entering functions
with try or raise or I presume lock.

1) ok?

2) do the heap alloc on demand?
  But is that enough? Can it be initialized without further context?
  Let's see..the circular list can be maintained without further context.
  handle := pthread_self, ok. stack can probably be figured out, though
  that is probably just for gc and could be left alone for now, continuing
  to not work (or fixed)...getcontext at least on some platforms can
  fill this in, or VirtualQuery/msomething (mmap family?)?

3) put back the second thread local?

#2 has a chance of working better than before -- letting GC
work on threads not created by Modula-3 runtime, something
that has long bothered me...but I haven't done a complete analysis.
Or at least maybe keep it working as it was
For now there is somewhat of a regression, ie, when calling
Modula-3 code on threads not created from Modula-3.
Possibly the gc in this case was already dangerous?
Failing to find references on other stacks?
Or failing all allocations (should be easy to check but I have to run..)