[M3devel] HEADS UP: Release engineering, was: Re: CM3 Release

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Mon May 4 16:46:57 CEST 2009

Now it's May 4th, and I feel we should turn to the official release
again.

Have any of the open issues been closed? Offhand I remember

  o REFANY/TAGGED REF extensions

  o alternative TEXT implementation

  o complete switch to new Unix headers

  o working cvsup (OK AFAIK)

  o formsvbt crashes

  o performance issues: threads, exception frames, texts, ...

There are probably more. A short status from those who know would
be great.

We must also decide which platforms _must_ be part of the release.
I'd suggest AMD64_LINUX, LINUXLIBC6, FreeBSD(4/7?), SOLgnu,
I386_DARWIN (and/or AMD64_DARWIN?), and of course Windows (native and
Cygwin, however these are called these days ;-)

Should we add more? I'll need support to build several of them.

I suggest that we use the old make_bin_dist_min.sh scripts with
the core distribution. Or is something better already completely
automated (possibly by Jay)?

I'll just try to coordinate things, assign error reports, make
some tests myself and setup release candidate access when we start.
Or should we postpone one or two weeks?

Olaf