[M3devel] cross build file system layout?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat May 9 21:17:49 CEST 2009

[unnecessarily long-winded sorry]

We should consider where files should be placed regarding cross builds?

 installroot/bin/host/target/cm3cg
 installroot/bin/host/config/target
  or installroot/bin/host/config/target.cfg
  or installroot/bin/host/target.cfg
  or installroot/bin/etc/target.cfg
  or installroot/etc/cm3/target.cfg
  ?
 installroot/bin/host/cm3
 installroot/bin/cm3 is a little sh? (and also cm3.cmd)
 installroot/lib/target/libfoo.so
 installroot/pkg unchanged, already contains target

?

or host is implied in installroot?

 installroot/bin/target/cm3cg
 installroot/bin//config/target (file)
 installroot/bin/host/cm3
 installroot/bin/cm3 is a little sh? (and also cm3.cmd)
 installroot/lib/target/libfoo.so
 installroot/pkg unchanged, already contains target

?

If you don't imply host in installroot, there could be like
one large "repository" (file system tree) that package building
and install merely subsets according to what hosts/targets are desired.
Maybe that's pointless. Or, it doesn't require this layout anyway.

My config file roughly or the intent is, probe first the source tree,
then the install tree.

In the source tree there is already precedent for where things are:
 sourceroot/m3-sys/m3cc/host/cm3cg (native)
 sourceroot/m3-sys/m3cc/host-target/cm3cg
 sourceroot/m3-sys/cminstall/src/config-no-install/target
 sourceroot/m3-sys/cminstall/src/config/target

I kind of favor slashes for separators.
But I guess dashes or underscores are ok.
Slashes offer
  - same overall length path
  - possible increased portability to systems with
     limited length filenames, e.g. MS-DOS

I guess the reason to get some consensus is so that
 cm3 target

can work. So the probing can move from my config file to cm3?

You could maybe do -DTARGET=target.
There might be a problem where -D is processed too late.
We could move that earlier, at least partially.

My source tree use could be implemented by me just replacing
all the "installed" files with ones that include over to my source tree.