[M3devel] CM3 RELENG: suggestion for distribution packages

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu May 28 02:32:20 CEST 2009

I'm still of the opinion that these might not be configuration files.
Just because they are text, doesn't make it so.
Just because /some/ people edit them, doesn't make it so.
If lots of people edit them, then it is more convincing.

It is a gray, but I suspect the mere naming of the files, and the fact that install used to always change them (but it doesn't now) has everyone convinced.

One of the questions is, what happens upon "upgrade"?
Is that supposed to leave /etc alone, and keep working with whatever is out there? I'd maybe rather not be limited like that. (But I actually build-in a lot of backward compat so that I can bootstrap using current config files, which I can control, instead of whatever the old releases came with; this is however a difference between the Tinderbox and my own workflow..)
Or keep churn low so that upgrade can do some merge? Ditto.