[M3devel] Branding?

jay.krell at cornell.edu jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 23 12:20:40 CET 2009

What are the low level ramifications of "branding"? "object model",
"ABI", "C equivalent", etc.?

Specifically:
1 my recent change to "Activation" is idiomatic? And correct? "frame"
field is still at offset 0? (I was too lazy to read the code. Nonzero
is ok but might be less efficient depending on instruction set.)

2 How to make pthread_mutex_t and pthread_cond_t distinct types (and
still preferably opaque, but "made up" if necesary) to avoid getting
the parameters to wait_cond reversed? Untraced branded ref to
empty records with different brands? Note OF COURSE the instatiation
is never in Modula-3.

You know, what is equiv of important  C idiom:

Typedef struct xfoo *foo_t;
Typedef struct xbar *bar_t;

Where xfoo and xbar may or may not ever be defined ("revealed")?

  - Jay (phone)