[M3devel] non-deterministic behavior on Windows

Randy Coleburn rcoleburn at scires.com
Fri Oct 30 05:25:50 CET 2009

Ok, I think maybe the AntiVirus is causing the problems.

I upgraded to a new version of my AV program a couple of weeks ago.

After uninstalling it completely, the builds seem to work again.

Perhaps the trouble is due to fact that I "upgraded" an in-place
installation instead of first uninstalling completely.

I am going to try and reinstall my AV program and see how it fares.

Regards,
Randy

>>> "Daniel Alejandro Benavides D." <dabenavidesd at yahoo.es> 10/29/2009
6:20 PM >>>
Hi all:
without fear for being non-respectful, that thing is not quite right
and certainly not always possible, could be that you have a worm or
agent in your system, like a program infecting more and more each time
(believe it happens many times). Are the machines net interconnected
(LAn or WAN)?
I would prefer to say, I think IMHO, better to say, virus programs (or
try a brand new machine)....
Hope it helps,

--- El jue, 29/10/09, jay.krell at cornell.edu <jay.krell at cornell.edu>

<rcoleburn at scires.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Something is wrong, but I don't know what yet.
> >
> > I'm seeing non-deterministic behavior on Windows XP
> and Vista.
> >
> > I am building against the head branch.
> >
> > On multiple runs of each build cycle, I am getting
> different errors.  That is, sometime a package will
> fail to build/ship on one build cycle, then it will work on
> the next.
> >
> > I've even gone back and tried to rebuild or reship
> individual packages that failed and most always they will
> build or ship fine.
> >
> > For a while, I thought it might be my antivirus
> program.  But I am getting same behavior on two
> different machines and each machine has a different AV
> program.
> >
> > I'll keep investigating, but something is definitely
> wrong.
> >
> > I am going to try uninstalling my AV program on one
> machine just to see if that makes any difference.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Randy Coleburn

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are intended
solely for the use of the named recipient(s). This e-mail may contain
confidential and/or proprietary information of Scientific Research
Corporation.  If you are not a named recipient, you are prohibited from
making any use of the information in the email and attachments.  If you
believe you have received this email in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the email, any attachments, and all
copies thereof from any drives or storage media and destroy any
printouts of the email or attachments.

EXPORT COMPLIANCE NOTICE:  This email and any attachments may contain
technical data subject to U.S export restrictions under the
International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or the Export
Administration Regulations (EAR).  Export or transfer of this technical
data and/or related information to any foreign person(s) or entity(ies),
either within the U.S. or outside of the U.S., may require export
authorization by the appropriate U.S. Government agency prior to export
or transfer.  In addition, technical data may not be exported or
transferred to certain countries or specified designated nationals
identified by U.S. embargo controls without prior export authorization.
By accepting this email and any attachments, all recipients confirm that
they understand and will comply with all applicable ITAR, EAR and
embargo compliance requirements.