[M3devel] CM3 5.8 Release Engineering, was Re: back again -- cm3 status worse?

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Wed Sep 23 06:03:22 CEST 2009

On 22 Sep 2009, at 23:48, Jay K wrote:

> I'm "certain" these are ok but I can try without them.
> One just changes the command line parameters to rc to a form that
> works with more toolsets. Rc probably isn't even used with Juno at
> all. Just put error() in the file to test it.
>

> The other passes a struct by pointer instead of by value, through a
> C translation layer, because if you use the gcc backend, which
> nobody does, it names the functions wrong for the struct by value
> case. (gcc gets it right when compiling C).
>

> You still aren't understanding me.
>
> We have a consistent failure before Feb 20, but it is deemed maybe ok.
>   It was maybe always that way. It is maybe unfinished code. Not
> heap corruption.
>   Though we don't know 100% and it does merit some investigation.
>
> After Feb 20 without @M3nogc we have a "more severe" and actually
> fairly consistent but not completely consistent failure -- heap
> corruption.

OK, now I think I begin to understand.  What happens with
@M3paranoidgc on the post-2009-02 code is what you sent earlier,
right?  Sounds like something is being collected when it should not,
resulting in a dangling reference to memory that gets reused for
something else.  I don't think I changed anything that would affect
that.  I'll take another look.  The M3paranoidgc flag should catch any
dangling reference.  Can you try with @M3noincremental and/or
@M3nogenerational?