[M3devel] Reasoning for /usr/local/cm3 ?

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Wed Sep 23 11:18:41 CEST 2009

Quoting Martin Bishop <mbishop at esoteriq.org>:

> Why does everything install into /usr/local/cm3/* ?  I tried editing my
> PATH variable to get the cm3 binary in there, but I still have to
> 'source /etc/profile' with every shell.  And if I symlink it, it causes
> problems.

The paths are different on different systems. /usr/local/cm3 is just
the system-specifics-ignoring default of a generic cm3 installation.
System-specific packages are currently being prepared by some
people, but not yet finished as far as I know. There should be
mails in the archives about download locations.

> Is there a reason to not just install to normal positions like /usr/bin
> and /usr/lib, etc?  Is it possible to tell cminstall where to install
> other the default /usr/local/cm3 ?

Sure. Just give cminstall the target directory as argument.
It will always install a complete tree though (bin, lib, pkg, doc, www, ...).
If that doesn't suffice, you may also be able to use symlinks for the
main binaries in one of your PATH directories.

Hope this helps,

Olaf