[M3devel] why Thread.Wait immediately after Thread.Fork?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 29 10:18:05 CEST 2009

The defaults are still small.

C:\dev2\cm3.2\m3-libs\m3core\src\thread\POSIX\ThreadPosix.m3(196):  defaultStackSize := 3000;
C:\dev2\cm3.2\m3-libs\m3core\src\thread\PTHREAD\ThreadPThread.m3(819):VAR defaultStackSize := 4096;

I did some experimentation, and I was HOPING to find something like:

 Among all supported platforms, the smallest actual creatable stack is 64K, therefore set our minimum to 64K.

 Or even 16K.

However I didn't find that to be true.

I think I found I could create stacks as small as 4K, maybe even less.

On the other hand, I'm sure a number of platforms cannot create such small stacks.

Also I believe the Linux default stack is a whopping 8MB, so you sometimes find code that fails with smaller than that.

NT defaults tend to either be 1MB or 256K, maybe doubled for 64bit.

 - Jay