[M3devel] new target names -- SOLsun vs. SOLgnu?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Apr 17 12:50:34 CEST 2010

If we have targets, say, I386_NT, I386_CYGWIN, I386_MINGW, I386_LINUX, I386_FREEBSD, I386_NETBSD, SPARC32_SOLARIS or SPARC_SOLARIS..how does one capture the SOLsun vs. SOLgnu difference? SPARC32_SOLARIS_SUN vs. SPARC32_SOLARIS_GNU? SPARC_SOLARIS_SUNCC, SPARC_SOLARIS_GCC?

"target is underscore separated list of relevant names, usually two but not limited to two"?

Drop SOLgnu and just equate SPARC32_SOLARIS with SOLsun?

Given that the reason for SOLgnu was because cc was not bundled with OS at some point?

  But now gcc and cc are both bundled as I understand!

Do some sort of autoconfig, sensitive to the CC environment variable?

 That's actually pretty easy and pretty cheap. Not a terrible idea.

I'm not really pushing hard on this topic, just that I want to cross build Cygwin from non-NT and was hitting minor problems.

Mainly I want to see if Cygwin pthreads works now, now that the hanging test case got "rewritten", so I can drop the SchedulerPosix.m3 file which duplicates content verbatim out of ThreadPThread.m3..