[M3devel] M3 language definition in cm3/doc

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Apr 29 22:32:42 CEST 2010

The M3 language definition is contained in several formats in the
cm3 repository and web pages.

Recent changes to the language have been added by Antony Hosking
and Rodney Bates to

   cm3/doc/reference/complete/m3-defn-complete.tex

There are also versions in other formats:

   cm3/doc/reference/complete/m3-defn-complete.html
   cm3/doc/reference/complete/m3-defn-complete.ps
   cm3/doc/reference/complete/m3-defn-complete.pdf

Critical Mass added a split-up HTML version for online access,
which I was not able to exactly recreate:

   cm3/doc/reference/*.html

There is now a new variant of split HTML files in

   cm3/doc/reference/complete/html/*.html

The files in this directory as well as the complete versions above
can now be generated automatically by simply running `make'
in the directory cm3/doc/reference/complete/.

latex2html is used for HTML conversion, dvips for PS, and dvipdf
for PDF creation. Of course latex2e must also be installed to
create the device independent file (.dvi).

I have updated all the formats based on the (hopefully) latest
and greatest language spec in m3-defn-complete.tex. I haven't
checked that thoroughly but trusted that it was all right.
If you find any mistakes, please let me know.

Please also note that I had to change some tabbing environments,
as the latex2html script had some problems with generating readable HTML
for existing ones. To ensure readable indentation, all lines should
begin with a tab (\>).

I have merged all the changes from the release branch to the trunk, too.
I haven't tested them there though.

Thanks for your attention,

Olaf