[M3devel] m3back directions?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 4 02:35:32 CEST 2010

Do you mean to ask, am I embarassed that I nor any of us have done it ourselves by now?

Yes. :)

(Though I don't know about the question as stated.)

Interest level here is higher than I expected in non-gcc backends.

  And Tony gave the answer I expected. :)

  I don't know. It's kind of cheating, less fun, very hard to ramp up on, but once there very useful and good reuse and code quality.

So I'll consider this higher priority, if nobody beats me to it.

I also noticed the two burg backends in the 3.6 tree.

Did they build and work?

Eh, rhetorical mostly. It's hard to get one's head around this stuff.

Easier to improve m3back.

Though they had a MIPS backend too and I do have some MIPS machines.. (SGIs and router).

I'd like to first:

  current release

  CodeView debugging

  test/optimize atomics (anyone can test this, please do)

  test/fix 64bit range checks (anyone can test this, please do)

  the micro optimizations I've been repeatedly describing (not multi pass, just "objfile.move")

   And then once I have "move", fix the >4K frame bug.

  And then I'll try to consider other x86 backends again.

 - Jay