[M3devel] Modula-3/C interop in Date/Time?

Coleburn, Randy rcolebur at SCIRES.COM
Fri Apr 16 00:10:44 CEST 2010

Jay:

I’m still catching up after being in hospital, but noticed you are working on the Date.i3/m3 interface and module.

There is a problem that I’d like to post on the newsgroup that may be related.

I’m not sure if the problem is due to the way Date.i3/m3 is coded, or perhaps a problem in the network objects stub generator, but I thought whilst you are looking at Date.i3/m3 something might trigger in your mind about how to fix the problem.

I have several interfaces that export a Network Object.  Of course, these get processed by the network objects stub generator at compile time.  For some of these, the generated files fail to compile due to Date.i3 not being listed in the IMPORT list.

Since these offending modules are generated at compile time, it’s not a programming error in the new source package that is being compiled.

The way I work around the problem is by editing the generated files after the compile fails.  Namely, I go to the target folder (in this case NT386) and edit the generated m3 files by adding “IMPORT Date;”, then recompile and all is well.

Of course, the next time you erase the target folder, change the underlying interface, or run “cm3 -clean”, the generated file has to be created again and you have to go thru the compile-edit-compile cycle again to repair the problem.  If you are delivering source code to a customer, you then have to document the work-around for them so that they can get the package to compile.

I reported this problem years ago, but that was back before we were tracking bugs using the new system.

It could be that the way Date.i3/m3 is coded is causing the stub generator not to think it needs to import it, or it could be that the stub generator isn’t doing its job right in the first place.

Now after saying all this, I know I should provide a concrete example.  I’ll have to go back and see if I ever reduced the code to a smaller set that demonstrates the problem.  Otherwise, I can’t give anyone the full source code because it was a “work-for-hire” and I don’t have the right to publish these sources.

Let me know if you want a concrete example and I’ll see what I can do.

Regards,
Randy