[M3devel] INTEGER

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 18 11:23:24 CEST 2010

Mika, I'm not sure what the answer is.

You might recall that Tony questioned the need for LONGINT, because it is "only" there to interface with C, and I've rewritten all the C interfacing, providing perhaps other means to solve that problem...I'm not sure what means Tony had in mind, but perhaps an array or record as you/I show.

Others spoke up about the need to work with files larger than 2GB.

   Which isn't necessarily enabled by providing LONGINT, but it is a small convenient step ("convenient" to who? Not the compiler developer. :) )

A very small amount of code has been "fixed" to pass along large file sizes with complete fidelity.

The Rd/Wr interface continues to not work, or work well or easily, with streams beyond 2GB in size. I still that that should be dealt with. And I still suspect a 64bit size is near enough to infinity (for I/O purposes), that the interfaces don't need a significant redesign, merely a widening of INTEGER to LONGINT. Pass the problem up yet one more level. Granted, I vaguely recall that most/many/all rd/wr users require their data to fit into memory, so they'll fail with >2GB file sizes.

Recall that merely browsing to a directory with a large file with the normal Trestle GUI would hit a subrange fault and generally terminate the running program -- no need to try to open the file. That bug at least should now be fixed by LONGINT. Granted, it probably could have been fixed e.g. by lying and giving such files a size of LAST(INTEGER). ?

"Obviously" 64 is just one special spot on a range of integer sizes.

Realize however that a number of 64bit integer operations really can be very efficiently implemented on most 32bit processors. Though not all operations -- add, subtract, compare are reasonable, multiply, divide less so.

However arbitrary precision arithmetic, not just double precision, can be done about as efficiently -- the critical piece is "exposing the carry flag efficiently", if it exists, and we don't actually do that.

Another opinion is that 64bit platforms already work..and perhaps 32bit platforms won't be around much longer anyway.

This feature is 10-20 years too late and its impact therefore won't be significant. ?

 (http://yarchive.net/comp/longlong.html dates "long long" to circa 18 years ago.)

Again, I don't have an anwer.

 - Jay