[M3devel] INTEGER

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Mon Apr 19 20:44:00 CEST 2010

On 19 Apr 2010, at 13:23, Mika Nystrom wrote:

> Well *my* problem is that I still use PM3 for a lot of things.  Trying to
> switch to CM3, yes, but I can't "certify" CM3 for critical stuff yet.
>
> So I'm maintaining a significant amount of code that needs to compile
> under both PM3 and CM3.  Two problems crop up.
>
> 1. If there are bugs in m3tk/stubgen, the fixes only apply to one or
> the other version of m3tk/stubgen.
>
> 2. Some of the code I'm maintaining processes Modula-3 code as input.
> It needs to be in two versions.
>
> In this kind of environment, programming languages don't really
> evolve, since the system depends on their being both forward- and
> backward-compatible.  They "change" is more correct.  The way Java
> changes.

Indeed: Growing a Language, by Guy Steele

> More in general, though, Modula-3's designers were clearly well acquainted
> with C, Fortran, and other languages that provide different-range
> integers.  They chose not to indulge.  I even have a version of Modula-3
> for a 16-bit machine that doesn't do it, even though on this machine the
> need for a 32-bit integer is arguably greater than the need for 64-bit
> integers on 32-bit machines.  Now we indulge in this language complication
> to solve what is clearly a temporary problem, since anyone who cares
> about large problems is going to have 64-bit systems yesterday... and
> meanwhile no one seems to have availed himself of the solution!

If we were to revert, I have no idea what the implications would be.  Jay?

> My worst fear is that once the process gets started, the reason for
> staying with the original Green-Book specification has now been defeated
> and we will see more and more "evolution".  Trying to actually build
> systems that process Modula-3 like data becomes, at that point, like
> trying to stand in quicksand.

Indeed!

> I'm not incredibly picky here... I just hope it doesn't go further.
> I would personally support either sticking with the current status quo
> or going back to the Green Book w.r.t. integers and characters.

Indeed, I would not want to see this go any further.  I am still not sure I am comfortable with the LONGINT extension (even though I put a lot of time into it).  There just seemed to be a lot of pressure for it to so CM3 could handle large file indexes.  I've never been convinced that WIDECHAR was a winner either -- it was a reflexive action in the face of Java's Unicode.   The CM3 people were building a Java VM above CM3 at the time.

> Saying that EWD wasn't renowned for his practicality is something he
> would have taken as a great compliment, I'm sure.

;-)