[M3devel] INTEGER

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 20 02:43:25 CEST 2010

> If you use integer counts of some small interval, that small interval
> is what I mean has to be specified somewhere.

There would be one and only interval for all time measurements.

  => Whatever NT uses. 10s of nanoseconds I believe.

Isn't that similar to saying you have to specify it is seconds?

Or seconds is easier to remember and understand?

NT's unit is a little difficult for me, granted.

> There's nothing much wrong with floating point. It works fine and Time.T
> can certainly represent intervals much smaller than a second using any
> reasonable epoch (almost the age of the universe, I think).

Does Time.T have a large range actually? I haven't figured it out.

And are negative times allowed?

If no negative times, then not a wide range.

> No, but again the fact that C does something is not a good reason for us to do
> it. We need a new language type just to deal with file lengths? I think not.
> That's the only real use case I've seen so far...?

National debt as an integer?

I don't know if there are other uses.

> Of course it has to be little endian.

That's what I think, but I might just be corrupted.

It still needs to abstract/opaque, though, so people don't get confused

about the lower bits being unsigned, for example.

gotta run,