[M3devel] INTEGER

Mika Nystrom mika at async.async.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 23 07:38:51 CEST 2010

Jay K writes:
>--_7f0c333b-7807-4538-bdd6-306666b4a0e7_
>

>I have to add something. There is another use of LONGINT.
>
>Kind of an annoying practical one=2C and a minor side affect. Not really a =
>nice abstract one.
>
>And in fact=2C it implies a sort of use of "INT128".
>
>=20
>
>=20
>
>To declare opaque data with a particular alignment.
>
>=20
>
>=20
>
>To match an external definition.
>
>Specifically=2C jmpbuf.
>
>Many systems want a 64bit aligned jmpbuf.

But does Modula-3 *allocate* jmpbufs?  If not, why does the declaration have
to record that C is guaranteed to allocate the jmpbufs with a certain alignment?

I don't think this type of stuff belongs anywhere near the language definition.

If it's really needed it ought to be in compiler pragmas.  (I think.)

     Mika