[M3devel] INTEGER

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Fri Apr 23 18:56:13 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 11:52:14AM -0700, Mika Nystrom wrote:

> Is the infinite extent of the TEXT type a serious implementation difficulty? :-)

Yes, actually.  It requires heap storage allocation and indirection.  That's just what
it costs, so we pay it, since fixed-width strings aren't all that useful.

But integer ranges of a size that matches the application (instead of the hardware)
are quite feasible and useful; I'd rather not pay the proce of dynamic heap allocation
for each integer.

-- hendrik