[M3devel] changes in CM3 continuous integration setup

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Sat Aug 21 18:21:44 CEST 2010

Due to I/O overload problems on the Hudson/CVS/WWW server birch.elegosoft.com
I have now reduced the jobs that perform actual repository polling on the
CM3 CVS repository to two, running locally on birch:

   cm3-current-m3cc-AMD64_LINUX
   cm3-current-build-AMD64_LINUX

The first checks all the m3cc sources, the second the rest; the first runs
all 10, the second all 11 minutes.

All other jobs are triggered in several cascades by these two.

For each target platform, the dependencies are

   m3cc --> build --> test-m3tests
                  --> test-all-pkgs

The m3cc and build jobs for AMD64_LINUX also trigger other target
platform builds in this fashion:

   AMD64_LINUX --> AMD64_DARWIN
               --> AMD64_FREEBSD --> PPC_DARWIN --> I386_DARWIN
                                                --> I386_NETBSD
                                                --> I386_OPENBSD
                                 --> SOLsun-opencsw-curent9s
                                 --> SOLsun-opencsw-curent10s
                                 --> I386_SOLARIS-opencsw-curent10x
               --> FreeBSD4      --> LINUXLIBC6
                                 --> NT386
                                 --> PPC_LINUX
                                 --> SPARC32_LINUX
                                 --> SOLgnu

This scheme reflects the expected availability and maintainability
of the machines by me, in case you wonder ;-)

I hope that this will help to reduce the load and not lead to
further problems due to parallel updates on one cascade level.

Of course, jobs can still be started manually via the HTTP GUI.
If you do this, please bear in mind that other jobs will be triggered, too,
according to the diagrams above.

Olaf