[M3devel] Installation difficulties in FreeBSD 8.1 x86

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 16:26:33 CEST 2010

The CM3 binaries for FreeBSD6 don't work in FreeBSD 8.1 because cminstall is
looking for very specific versions of libraries.  For example it wants
libm.so.4 but I only have libm.so -> libm.so.5.  It also looks for libc.so.6
where I can only supply libc.so.7.  Even worse is the requirement for
libpthread.so.2.  There *IS* no libpthread.so.anything.  There's a
libpthread.so which is a soft link to libthr.so which is itself a soft link
to libthr.so.3.

If I try to fake any of this out with softlinks I get problems with
libpthread.so.2 since it's looking for a symbol (LIBTHREAD_1_0) which is
apparently not provided by libthr.so.3.  There is nothing in /usr/ports that
seems to give me a proper libpthread that cminstall would like, so I'm
basically stuck at this point unable to install (not build -- install!) CM3
on this FreeBSD machine.

--
"Perhaps people don't believe this, but throughout all of the discussions of
entering China our focus has really been what's best for the Chinese people.