[M3devel] additional CVS repositories for additional gcc forks?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 26 11:45:01 CEST 2010

Olaf, I have some temporary so far hypothetical interest in trying gcc 4.3.0 again -- the SOLgnu/SOLsun problem with 4.3.5.
  Really, hopefully that's not something needed long term.

I have some possibly lasting so far hypothetical interest in another gcc fork -- to fork OpenBSD's 4.2.1.
 Though I guess I can try to apply their patches to 4.5.1.

It is trivial and reasonable?
Or it would be a pain in Hudson?
  In paritcular the notion of gcc-openbsd in a separate repository?
  I actually think maybe we should use gcc-apple for *_DARWIN but Tony disagreed and mainline seems ok.
  It is for ARM_DARWIN, which isn't in great shape (Hudson?! :) )

I'm open to moving the existing gcc (gcc-4.3/gcc-4.3.5) to its own repository.
And the existing gcc-apple to its own.

(Besides, a C backends wipes this all away. : ) )

I don't much like CVS but I have slowly learned to use it a bit.
  My favorite by far by far is Perforce. We could possibly use it free for open source work.
  I have lots of experience with it. It is fast. It has good gui. It has atomic changes. It does branching right (unlike svn which does branching completely wrong)

I have no experience with anything else -- svn, mtn, git, hg, etc.