[M3devel] cvs commands in Hudson keep complaining about long-ago deleted directories

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Fri Aug 20 08:03:38 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Olaf there's something somehow slightly off.
> http://hudson.modula3.com:8080/job/cm3-current-m3cc-I386_NETBSD/2/console
>
> Started by user jkrell
> Building remotely on jkrell-xnbsd
> [m3cc] $ cvs -q -z3 update -PdC -D "Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:16:34 PM UTC"
>
>  cvs update: use `cvs add' to create an entry for `gcc/INSTALL'
>  <==
>  cvs update: use `cvs add' to create an entry for `gcc/fixincludes'    <==
>
> This has been happening on all jobs.
> I manually removed the directories in most/all.
> But this is a new node/task.
>
> It must be related to the branches varying.
> But cvs upd shouldn't be so difficult.

In my working copy from the trunk these directories are there.
They get removed by your m3makefile again, but update -d resurrects
them.

What exactly have you done to `remove' them from CVS? As CVS doesn't
handle directories as first class objects, the only ways to remove
a directory are

  (1) delete all files in it recursively and let CVS know.
      The -p(rune) option will then delete empty directories.

  (2) remove the complete history on the server. Not allowed for
      a simple human user in daily operations ;-)

Olaf

PS: I'm in a hurry now, do I won't have time to read and answer
all mails now. There are still several dozens... More later.