[M3devel] changes in CM3 continuous integration setup

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Tue Aug 24 09:55:42 CEST 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Olaf, ssh and cvs are usually failing now. It is quite bad now.
> I have to retry cvs -z3 diff and cvs -z3 commit multiple times to
> get them to work.

No use to retry in such situations, better wait a quarter of an hour.

Yes, that's one of those outages we have observed for some time now.
I happened to notice and observe this one. I think it was caused
by two backup processes using most of the i/o bandwidth and then
several CVS server instances pile up while waiting for disk blocks
and prevent each other from making much progress.

I think we really need a CVS mirror (as we cannot easily improve
the i/o system). Sigh.

I tried to stop most of the CVS processes, but response and recovery
was very slow nonetheless.

Things should have calmed down in the meantime though.

Olaf