[M3devel] additional CVS repositories for additional gcc forks?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 26 13:46:13 CEST 2010

 > No. I would see a C backend as a variant (option) too, but probably not
 > use it on platforms were I can compile without it.

I would like to see a C backend at least replace the gcc backend.
   We could maybe then slowly iterate on the integrated backend. Or LLVM.
It would provide more obvious correctness, better debugging, better code quality.
Imagine -- basically all platforms would get stack walkers.
  By generating C++ for most platforms, or using C exception handling in NT/VMS/Tru64.
Basically all platforms would just work.
Stock debuggers would work, gdb and others.
Basically no more porting.
Basically all optimizations could be enabled.
  (Aside: I think the generated C would be sure to store
  gc roots in volatile locals, but not otherwise use said volatiles.)
And in more recent developments, it would enregister some records passed by value.
It would, in a sense, shrink the code base (cheating sort of).

I'm not holding my breath on any of this.
But I'm going to start trying to do more and talk less about it.