[M3devel] file descriptor confusion?

Mika Nystrom mika at async.caltech.edu
Mon Dec 13 23:40:56 CET 2010

Hi m3devel,

Still fiddling with I386_DARWIN.

I've been able to get everything that I need compiling with the release
compiler so I haven't upgraded to the head yet.  I'm trying hard to
get a new product ready and am already behind, was hoping I could debug
my own code on this new laptop...  Maybe soon (actually I have already
found a bug in my own code under the compiler so I shouldn't complain).

But I've run into a mystery that I think may be due to some change in CM3,
but it might also be a bug of mine, so please just let me know if there
*might* have been some changes that could have had the following effect.

My code uses a pretty elaborate debugging framework with a "Debug"
module that prints debug messages and conditionally can turn on and
off various input streams (types of debug messages) and output streams
(targets: terminal, files, etc.)

I have a program that connects over TCP to a server, using Wr and Rd on
ConnFD.T, TCP.T, and such objects.  I am now finding that my debug
output is going to the server!  It's supposed to be a completely separate
stream.  It looks like the file descriptors have gotten confused.  Maybe.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?  Sometime in the last year I would guess.
Code works perfectly under PM3 (as always).  If it does ring a bell
anywhere, what are the chances it's different in the head?

    Mika