[M3devel] enable/disableswitching around external calls?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 27 11:35:24 CET 2010

I noticed calls to free in M3toC missing Enable/DisableSwitching.

I'm going to generalize this, somewhat, in m3core.h, but that still leaves a fair number of custom wrappers.

This area seems extremely error prone and extremely difficult to get test coverage on.

These functions only do anything for user threads.
  Which we only use by default on OpenBSD.

How about the frontend emit the calls around any external calls?

Theory being: external calls are rare?

Perhaps frontend/m3middle would know if user threads are in use and only emit the calls in that case. Perhaps.
I don't like sprinking much target-specific information around.