[M3devel] m3gdb build on AMD64_FREEBSD

Rodney M. Bates rodney_bates at lcwb.coop
Wed Feb 3 20:08:05 CET 2010

Jay K wrote:
> I haven't looked but maybe we need a newer gdb?

If you mean stock gdb, you can use the latest available.
If you mean an m3gdb derived from a later gdb, that has
been on my list for a while.  Maybe when gdb 7.1 is out
(very soon) and I am through moving house and get my old
one sold (who knows?)

Having done this, I think three times, I can say it will
be quit a bit of work, and it looks like there are more/bigger
changes to gdb than ever before, especially reverse debugging,
which would be really nice.

> Personally I wish we could output enough information
> so that regular gdb could work better...

There is very little room for improvement in just changing/
expanding the debug output produced by the compiler.  To
get much of anything at all would involve changing the
debug info format from stabs (very old, cobbled up, and
limited) to dwarf-2 (apparently the best now in use).
I am even prepared for the possibility that the latest
gdb will have dropped stabs altogether.

This is also a big job.  I have been thinking about it
for a long time.  But it still can't do all that much
using stock gdb.

> Also we shouldn't bother mangling acceptable identifiers when
> there is no clash..

Having separate compilation, there are many cases where it would
be impossible for the compiler to know whether there are clashes
or not.  Also, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to remove
the uid portion from mangled variable names, given Modula-3's
structural type rules.  Maybe dwarf-2 would allow it to work.