[M3devel] Shorthand type declarations?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 3 23:09:45 CET 2010

I think that is a lesser concern.

I think a larger issue is what the binding should look like and if it can be generated. And if we import the library into our tree (probably not). And then how we configure, like, is the thing on the system. Do we generate the headers in the build? Maybe. That is good in that they match and don't go stale. Bad in that it hurts cross builds. Possibly generate, checkin, and then regenerate if possible and compare to what is checked in. (But now I've digressed to lesser concerns as well. The important part is figuring out what the binding should look like and how to generate it. Less important how often to regenerate it.)

Of course Modula-3 provides main.
Likely wxWindows doesn't absolutely require special main.
Likely any binding can just have you add some function call from your Modula-3 main.

Absolute terrible worst case if you can teach the Modula-3 compiler to not provide main. In fact that's not a bad idea for other reasons -- for better interop with existing code. Basically we should have a flag to RTLinker__InitRuntime that specifies if it returns or runs Main__M3(1) or however that works. Or an alternate RTLinker__InitRuntimeEx.

wxWindows is C++.
There are Python bindings.

These libraries often provide cross-platform threading/synchronization, I/O, etc. And sometimes IDEs, right. There are many such efforts.
Any binding effort imho could limit itself to just the gui parts.
 The other parts ok, but I'm suspicious that Modula-3's container/string/i/o/threading libraries aren't so bad/ugly, whereas its GUI library at least looks awful and Olaf says the Win32 port is incomplete, so more work merited there it seems vs. other library parts.