[M3devel] use of date and bc in m3tests

Olaf Wagner wagner at elegosoft.com
Thu Feb 11 16:35:43 CET 2010

Quoting Jay K <jay.krell at cornell.edu>:

> Anyone:
>
> C:\dev2\cm3.2\m3-sys\m3tests\src\m3makefile
>
> Please try to remove the uses of date and bc.
>
> Thanks.

I happend to see this some minutes ago (lots of other unread M3 mails
in my box I'm afraid).

AFAIK date and bc are only used in the quake code to time the tests.
There are several things that can be done:

  1. They can be used conditionally, depending on the existence of date and
     bc on the test system. That should be possible in quake. Of course
     test time reporting will then not work if they are missing.

  2. Somebody can write simple M3 or C programs that will be used instead.
     Should not be too difficult, but somewhat redundant.

  3. Ideally, quake itself should be able to time the execution of
     procedures and to do simple arithmetic. That would be the best
     solution.

Olaf