[M3devel] LONGCARD, release branch... A R G H

Tony Hosking hosking at cs.purdue.edu
Sun Feb 21 20:30:50 CET 2010

Hi Dragisa,

I too am a luddite and have never used any of Jay's scripts.  I even still have essentially the same *old* monolithic config files on my system.

Here is the general strategy.

Take an old release.

Compile and ship the following in order...

m3middle
m3objfile
m3linker
m3back
m3front
m3quake
cm3

You now have a *new* compiler in cm3/TARGET/cm3 linked against the *old* libraries (m3core, libm3, sysutils).

Now, compile and ship new libraries using the new compiler...

m3core
libm3
sysutils

And build a new compiler against the new libraries...

m3middle
m3objfile
m3linker
m3back
m3front
m3quake
cm3

You now have a *new* compiler in cm3/TARGET/cm3 linked against the *new* libraries.

You should now be able to rebuild everything using the new compiler.

Hope this helps!

-- Tony

(PS  Let me know if you have any problems with this.   I have a feeling there are some tweaks I have made to the m3makefiles to make this go through smoothly.)

Antony Hosking | Associate Professor | Computer Science | Purdue University
305 N. University Street | West Lafayette | IN 47907 | USA
Office +1 765 494 6001 | Mobile +1 765 427 5484