[M3devel] 64bit file sizes now?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 12 04:02:55 CET 2010

So.. LONGINT as I understand will remain roughly as it was, except VAL(expr, INTEGER) is how you convert expr to INTEGER, instead of ORD(expr).

And this is already in place.

?

So I should go ahead and update File.i3/Status/size and Rd/Wr/Index/Seek/Length to all be LONGINT, "whatever the consequences"? The consequences are roughly the first diff I sent out, with the caveats that I used ORD() instead of VAL(,INTEGER), and a few packages were left to fix. It is mechanical and simple and predictable, just tedious and ugly.
Most Rd/Wr users are limited to INTEGER "sizes" anyway, but a few might gain capacity.

Classic simple example is the mklib and libdump code, they read the entire file into memory and then deal with that.

I can send the diffs ahead of time, but there's really no choices left as to what they'll look like, it is forced by the limited capability of LONGINT.

Had they used LONGINT in the first place, of course, there'd be no diff at this time, the ugliness would have been builtin from the start.