[M3devel] question on cm3 versioning & dating

Coleburn, Randy rcolebur at SCIRES.COM
Fri Jan 15 22:08:59 CET 2010

Jay:

When running upgrade.py, the compiler gets invoked as follows on my system:

C:\cm3\bin\cm3.exe  -build -DROOT=C:/cm3/Sandbox -DCM3_VERSION_TEXT=d5.8.2 -DCM3_VERSION_NUMBER=050802 -DCM3_LAST_CHANGED=2009-07-15

I also note that the "cm3 -version" option currently produces the following:

Critical Mass Modula-3 version d5.8.2
  last updated: 2009-07-15
  compiled: 2010-01-13 02:33:39
  configuration: C:\cm3\bin\cm3.cfg
  host: NT386
defaulting to native build: NT386
  target: NT386

Questions:

1.       What is purpose of the various "-DCM3..." arguments and should these be changing based on some formula or rule?

2.       I note that when compiling "cm3" package, I get complaints about missing version file information.  What should I be doing to correct this, if anything?  See below:

missing CM3_VERSION_NUMBER will read version file
missing CM3_VERSION_TEXT will read version file
missing CM3_LAST_CHANGED will read version file

It would seem that these three items have some parallel to the "-DCM3..." arguments.

Regards,
Randy Coleburn