[M3devel] On Trestle, OpenGL, etc...

Chris Highjinks at gmx.com
Fri Jan 22 22:09:53 CET 2010

My opinion on what to do as far as these libs are concerned...

First, we should just stick to updating what's already there, right? Add bindings to Xrandr, XCBlib, Cairo, etc.. in a new X11R6 directory. Break down that X.i3 file into several smaller modules. Major changes should wait till later. Bindings to QT, GTK, etc.. are good ideas, but should be OPTIONAL, not required. Undoubtedly many platforms that will be running Modula 3 applications will not have one or either of these libraries installed.
Theres also the possibility of building our own Windowing toolkit. We already have Trestle. Maybe call it "Beam"?

The same with OpenGL. Point in case, MiniGLX. Theres a good chance that any platform using MiniGLX will not have X Windows, or any other Windowing environment installed.

Consider embedded and kiosk environments. Modula 3 is well suited to these sorts of applications, but these environments are usually limited in the size and scope of the libraries and code they can run.

Later on, we could extend Trestle and even create our own Scenegraph library for OpenGL, if it makes sense to do so.  Hrrrmmm...Call the Scenegraph lib "Ray"?

I have a little free time coming up this weekend. I'll be porting some of the demos I have over to OpenGL, and doing a little M3/XCBlib hacking. Anyone want me to post these up somewhere, for the "lulz" as it were?

--
Chris <Highjinks at gmx.com>