[M3devel] what to do about file sizes being 32bits?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 8 07:41:09 CET 2010

[truncated again, I have a knack for
aiming near 80 columns and therefore getting
the period right where the mail software truncates..]

From: jay.krell at cornell.edu
To: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com; m3devel at elegosoft.com
Subject: RE: [M3devel] what to do about file sizes being 32bits?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 06:07:08 +0000

I believe the right statement is:
  "fixed precision addition is not closed over addition/subtraction/multiplication"

"closed" meaning the output set is not a subset of the output set.

Let's just say our integers are 8 bits.
The input range is -128..127.
The output range however for addition is -256..254.
The output range for subtraction is -255..255.
(and if I'm slightly off, that's not the point)
The output range for mulplication is..well
nevermind, I know some of the rules:

  Adding two unsigned integers of n bits yields, worst case,
    n + 1 bits.
  Multiplying two unsigned integers of n bits yields, worst case,
   2n bits.

gotta run..
 - Jay