[M3devel] Unbounded but finite LONGINT (was: Re: Integers

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jan 9 03:09:13 CET 2010

I hear Hendrik proposing that "LONGINT" is the name for fixed arbitrary precision integers.

That it might even have a name. Or the user has to mention it in order to acknowledge

he is using something potentially inefficient.

 FileSize = BITS 64 FOR LONGINT;

 FileSize = [1..LongInt.LShift(1, 63)];

 FileSize = LONGINT[64];

 or such

This is not a bad idea.

I think the "real" problem here is a multitude of options/scenarios and

a lack of vocabulary.

As I said, there is a time/place for "silent wraparound", for trapping overflow,

for extending precision to fit.

Also I'm surprised you can't mix REAL and LONGREAL.

Also I don't think INTEGER + LONGINT is all that confusing or, as I said, subtle.

It isn't /immediately/ obvious how to deal with MIN, MAX, MOD, DIV, but

it is still not that tricky.

MIN(INTEGER, LONGINT) is INTEGER. Not that difficult to figure out why.

 At least one of the inputs fits in an integer and the result is the smaller input.

MAX(INTEGER, LONGINT) is LONGINT, ditto.

  One of the inputs might not fit in an INTEGER and the result is the larger input.

INTEGER DIV LONGINT is INTEGER

BIG DIV SMALL1 is SMALL2

SMALL DIV BIG is 0 remainder SMALL.

LONGINT DIV INTEGER is LONGINT

Prove with one simple case:

BIG1 DIV 2 is BIG2.

Easier BIG1 DIV 1 is BIG1.

Consider: LONGINT MOD INTEGER and INTEGER MOD LONGINT

SMALL divided by BIG is, again, 0 remainder SMALL, INTEGER

BIG divided by SMALL1 is SMALL2, remainder [0..SMALL1 - 1] which is INTEGER.

That is, division either gives you 0 and remainder = first number.

Or it gives you non-zero and remainder is less than the second number.

  50 divided by 100 is 0 remainder 50.

  109 divided by 10 is 10 remainder 9

FOR loops also should allow mixing.

 - Jay