[M3devel] another longint variant

Mika Nystrom mika at async.async.caltech.edu
Sun Jan 10 01:25:52 CET 2010

Jay K writes:
>--_953e6126-a89e-4966-8f22-5ccff92e7117_
>

> > I believe Rodney said something like "mixed operations follow from assig=
>nability"=3B
> > and from a language point of view=2C that may be true=2C just not from t=
>he point of view=3B
>
>I meant to say=2C not from the language implementation point of view.
>
>Again=2C if I can assign and then add=2C might as well just allow add?
>Ditto assign and index=2C assign and multiply=2C etc.

The problem is that it's sometimes ambiguous what the result type is.

If you want to get into this kind of mess, why don't you just program in C...

I think this area is probably one of the reasons some people *like* Modula-3.
We don't want to have to guess what an expression means... it should be obvious.
If there are "promotion rules" it's just not that obvious.  I'm reminded of one
time when I was missing a prototype in a C program.............. ok that story
could go on and on.

    Mika