[M3devel] 64bit file sizes now?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 12 04:46:13 CET 2010

True that:

> (LAST(INTEGER) + 1) = FIRST (INTEGER)

many folks would like to see fail before it gets to the "=".

The dilemna remains though because:

> (LAST(INTEGER) + 1L) = FIRST (INTEGER)

would not fail.

So, you can either look at it as they produce different values, or one succeeds and one fails.

Either way people don't like two different expressions doing two different things.

Again, converting an INTEGER to a LONGINT is one of the simplest things you can do.

There something here about "transitivity" or "replacement":

j2 := VAL(i1, LONGINT) + j3;

vs.

j2 := i1 + j3;

pretty clearly have the same meaning.

The conversion is always trivial and always succeeds.

Does anyone really find it ambiguous?

 - Jay