[M3devel] FloatMode

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Tue Jan 12 05:55:25 CET 2010

I thought FloatMode was only related to floating point.

So I looked:

   "IntOverflow" = an integer operation produced a result whose
   absolute value is too large to be represented.

   "IntDivByZero" = integer "DIV" or "MOD" by zero.
\end{quote}

This part of it should be easy to implement for all architectures.

The entire thing probably isn't too difficult either on many platforms either.

However...I was surprised by this.

I thought the real "intent" in Modula-3 to not have this be configurable

and endeavor for overflow and divide by zero to always immediately

raise an exception? The only "out" is that it might not get implemented on some platforms for some reason?

For the floating point stuff:

Probably like other per-platform code, this should be done in #ifdefed C.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e9b52ceh(VS.80).aspx

http://kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man3/fetestexcept.3.html

etc.