[M3devel] RELENG again, was: Re: the LONGINT proposal

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 13 23:39:53 CET 2010

Tony: Do you mean to  say, that if NT386 had a working LONGINT, you'd be willing to implement Target.Int via LONGINT?

I kind of think Target.Int should remain being implemented as an array of 8 bit integers.

That preserves flexibility of targeting basically "anything from anything".

Including using a pre-LONGINT compiler, with its matching m3core/libm3, to build a current compiler.

  Though I admit when I have done the most "intensive" building of various compiler versions to find when problems began, it wasn't so smooth. I think I might have resorted to always starting old, and making smaller steps not big steps, not just from very old to current, though I should try/check again.

As well, Target.Int needs to be used more in m3front, like regarding array sizes/alignment.

I think it's a pretty simple fix.

There is still a bug targeting 64bit from 32bit because of this.

The attempts to declare "maximally sized arrays" fails.

m3core has a hack where it uses 2GB or 4GB instead of the real max.

The "jvideo" package still fails to cross compile.

 - Jay