[M3devel] [M3commit] LONGINT used by m3quake/cm3 packages

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jan 16 00:50:17 CET 2010

Interesting. Can the new values be added "at the end" to remain compatible, or they must be inserted where they are? Well, granted, it was already done, so it's hard to be compatible with old and older.

Even so, if you use an old compiler and its old libraries to build new compiler (but not its libraries), and then new compiler to rebuild libraries and compiler... isn't that ok?

One of us seems confused. I'm not sure who.

Again, old pre-LONGINT compiler can be used to build the current system in a way that we have plenty well enough automated. We first build "up to cm3", skipping libm3/m3core, then clean all and rebuild all with that new cm3.
5.2.6 works.
5.1.3a does not, I believe because sysutils needs a newer m3core. That could be fixed.

I realize that it is grey and not clear how far to run this race.
You go far enough back, you hit transitions, like m3front being written in C and generatin C, you go further back and you write a C compiler in assembly, keep going and you edit the assembler into memory with switches or somesuch..

One metric has been that you can build with the previous "release".
I'm not sure which that is.

 - Jay