[M3devel] import from same .so or not

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 12 03:58:52 CEST 2010

It seems to me, an important bit of information is not provided to the backend.

The backend is told "import" or "export".
But this is about "modules", .m3 files to .m3 files.

It isn't about .so files to .so files, or .dlls to .dlls.

It's really tristate, not boolean:
  private to just this source file
  private to this source file and those it statically links to
  public for all

Granted, you might statically link "everything".
There isn't enforcement of the middle state, and symbols still need to be as unique as the third state.
But it is definitely useful.

In particular we don't use DECL_VISIBILITY (p) = VISIBILITY_HIDDEN enough.
  For a long time we never used it. e.g. in the release branch.

Agreed?
Anyone volunteer to fix?
Or mind if I try?