[M3devel] Modula-3 condition variables vs. pthread/Win32 condition variables?

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Jul 18 08:36:45 CEST 2010

I was thinking of writing "ThreadWin6.m3".
We'd check GetVersion and if it is >= 6.0, use it instead.
This would give us:
  smaller locks
  condition variables
  likely isomorphic code with ThreadPThread.m3

Question, probably a repeat: (I'll check the archives)
  Why aren't Modula-3 condition variables a thinner wrapper over pthread condition variables?

One difference I see is alert. Can't alert just signal the condition being waited on?

Might need interlocked operations against alertable and alerted, and maybe also thread.cond?
  (Should be viable, even within one word, use the lower two bits of thread.cond?)

?