[M3devel] OpenBSD/powerpc

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 28 18:47:56 CEST 2010

There are very recent min/all distributions of openbsd/powerpc here:
  http://modula3.elegosoft.com/cm3/uploaded-archives/

I disabled dynamic linking of Modula-3 libraries, via config files, commited.
Using -fPIC results in assembly errors all over the place. (Maybe I should try lowercase -fpic?)
Not using -fPIC..I get a bunch of "unresolved symbol ''" at runtime -- like that, it reports the symbol name in single quotes and it is empty.
Presumably this could be fixed, but presumably it doesn't matter much either.

OpenBSD seems to like a pretty nice system (for a Posix system, other than MacOSX...), unless you try to get Modula-3 running on it.
 Then it seems kind of like the odd one out.

Current OpenBSD is "stuck" with old gcc 3.x (I think even 2.x for some targets).
It might be a good approach to import and patch their gcc fork, if anyone really wanted this to work.
  Or the hypothetical C-generating backend..
Given we already have 3 copies of gcc, I'm reluctant.
Maybe when we move from 4.3 to 4.5 and delete one.

Java doesn't seem to be available (a systematic problem across a certain range of systems), so Hudson won't
be available so just these occasional unofficial releases I think will be it.

(nice: 1) it isn't badly fractured like Linux; 2) comes with full source to the system like all *BSD; nice package system
like all *BSD 3) easy to install, including you need merely one file locally and everything else
can be installed over the net, very good device support.)