[M3devel] ppc_linux hanging

Jay K jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sat Jul 3 12:37:36 CEST 2010

Alas, good news, bad news, restoring volatile on every load/store seems to fix this.
I wasn't even optimizing.

Tony any ideas?

I386_LINUX is ok. AMD64_DARWIN is ok.
SOLgnu is ok, but that doesn't count. I left volatile on there, was worried for some reason about interaction with stack walker, I forget.

So far the debugger is being very uncooperative, can't set any breakpoints..it works for C.

Aha..

gcc -gstabs+ -fPIC -pie 2.c
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x658: file 2.c, line 3.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/jay/a.out
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint 1.
Error accessing memory address 0x658: Input/output error.

(gdb) q
The program is running.  Exit anyway? (y or n) y
jay at plin:~$ gcc -gstabs+ -fPIC 2.c
jay at plin:~$ gdb ./a.out
GNU gdb 6.8-debian
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "powerpc-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) break main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x10000448: file 2.c, line 3.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/jay/a.out

Breakpoint 1, main () at 2.c:3
3    }