[M3devel] licensing (gcc patches)

hendrik at topoi.pooq.com hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Sun Jul 4 22:04:18 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 04:20:01PM +0000, Jay K wrote:

> licensing
>

> "for the record"
> I don't necessarily want to discuss it..
>

> It has been speculated here that
> our gcc patches weren't acceptable
> because our license is more restrictive than GPL.
>

> I believe it is more like the opposite.
> Our patches not accepted because our license is /less/ restrictive.

The restriction I see in the modula 3 license is everyone dealing in
Modula 3 code has to allow SRC to do anything they want to any of it.
This 'requirement to allow' is a restriction that doesn't apply to GPL,
so in that sense we're more restrictive.

In pretty well all other ways, we're less restrictive.

>  To most of the code. Not to the patch or files added to gcc.
>  They can't really be.

Of course any code we *add* at this point can be dual-licensed, letting
people who get it use one license, or the other, or both, at their
option.

-- hendrik